When the organ fails to produce testosterone in the required quantity, it is referred to as low testosterone. Testosterone plays a significant role in various functions of the human body. It is present in both men and women. However, it is present in higher quantity in men, which gives them their male features. People with low testosterone try out various methods to enhance it. Starting from multiple medications to trying out some of the best supplements for boosting testosterone, people struggling with low testosterone try out everything.
Low testosterone levels and their impacts
Testosterone is responsible for the following attributes in men:-
- Sexual features
- Adequate levels of red blood cells
- Muscle mass
- Bone density
- Sexual & reproductive function
- A sense of well being
Low testosterone levels are primarily found in men above the age of 45. However, it is tough to say the right testosterone level is. It varies from one individual to another. The testosterone levels are also affected by BMI, alcohol consumption, nutrition, medications, and even age or any illness. Various other causes also cause low testosterone. These are as follows:-
- Any injury to the testes or any infection of the testes
- Chemotherapy that is used to treat cancer
- Metabolic disorders are also responsible for it
- Any dysfunction or any tumor in the pituitary gland
- Medications that are used to treat various diseases such as cancer
- Any long term or short term illness
- Alcohol abuse is also a significant cause of low testosterone levels
- Inflammatory conditions are also responsible
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Presence of higher level of mil producing hormone prolactin
- Previous abuse of anabolic steroids
- Any pubertal delay or trauma of any sort
Know all about the symptoms of low testosterone
In many men, the levels of testosterone fall as they start aging. After the age of 30, this fall occurs mainly. It persists throughout life. There are various causes of low testosterone apart from the ones mentioned above. People seek multiple ways to treat it and maintain it. However, it is essential to notice when it occurs to do that successfully. That can help one start the process of restoring it earlier. Some people fail to see the symptoms due to unawareness. Here are some of the signs that one experiences:-
- Lower sex drive in many men.
- Some also experience erectile dysfunction.
- Some even go through a decrease in the sense of feeling well.
- some even start feeling depressed and face trouble remembering things and concentrating.
- Some may even experience fatigue whereas some may experience a kind of irritability & moodiness.
- some men even suffer the loss of muscle strength.
Various other symptoms can only be known through diagnosis. These symptoms include the following-
- A decrease in the hemoglobin
- Reduction in the body hair
- The thinning of bones in the body
- Thinning of the hair
- An increase in body fats
- Infertility, etc.